Project ERA.NET.RUS PLUS-44/09.03.2016
Financial supported by Romanian National Authority for Scientific Research (CNCS-UEFISCDI) by PN IIII – European and International Cooperation - Horizon 2020
Project period: 09.03.2016 - 31.12.2017 (22 months)
The proposal aims to develop novel scaffolds for bone tissue engineering by Additive Manufacturing technologies with enhanced biocompatibility and vascularization. Different types of 3D resorbable scaffolds of polymers (poly(hydroxybutyrate) (PHB), poly(hydroxybutyrate-co-hydroxyv alerate) (PHB-HV) and polycaprolactone (PCL)) and their blends with proteins (collagen) will be electrospun sequentially at different ratios to produce 3-level structures resembling the natural structure of bone tissue. Additive Manufacturing will be used to fabricate textured metallic implants based on titanium alloys with porous or lattice sections.
Surface biocompatibility will be improved by advanced bioactive coatings enriched with metal ions (Si, Zn,Mg, Sr) and with antiseptic properties in case of organics (e.g. polyphenols) or inorganics (e.g. Ag,nanoparticles). Additional biomimetic surface functionalisation of the scaffolds by incorporation of biologically active organic compounds (e.g. mineralization-promoting enzymes, growth factors, proteins VEGF, BMPs)will be performed. Biological experiments in vitro and in vivo will reveal the cyto- and biocompatibility of the implants. Synchrotron radiation will be used to study the effect of the scaffolds at different stages of their integration into the live tissue. Implementation of the project will allow fabrication of optimized personalized implants with functionalized surfaces according to the patient’s requirements.
The project was awarded in the frames of multistage program ERA.Net RUS Plus – S&T (Project ID # 58 – INTELBIOCOMP).
Coordinator. National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University (Tomsk, Russia).
Partner 1. Ghent University (Ghent, Belgium)
Partner 2. Fraunhofer Institute for Interfacial Engineering and Biotechnology (Stuttgart, Germany)
Partner 3. Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (Karlsruhe, Germany)
Partner 4. University Politehnica Bucharest (Bucharest, Romania)
Partner 5. National R&D Institute for Optoelectronics (Bucharest, Romania)
WP1. Biofunctionalization of Ti alloy surfaces (Ti64) with coatings based calcium phosphates; Investigation of the biocomposites with metallic structures – 31.12.2016
WP2. Synthesis and characterization of the coatings based calcium phosphates doped with metallic ions on the Ti alloy surfaces (Ti64) in 3D structures – 31.12.2017
- Tribological behaviour of RF-magnetron sputter deposited hydroxyapatite coatings in physiological solution, M. Dinu, A. A. Ivanova, M. A. Surmeneva, M. Braic, A. I. Tyurin, V. Braic, R. A. Surmenev , A. Vladescu, Ceramics International 43 (2017), 6858–6867, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2017.02.106
Submitted paper for publishing:
Comparative study of the hydroxyapatite coatings prepared with/without substrate bias, S. Dudin, C. M. Cotrut, M. Dinu, A. Zykova, A. C. Parau, S. Yakovin, A. Vladescu, Ceramics International, 2017, under review
Published chapter book:
- Radio frequency magnetron sputter deposition as a tool for surface modification of medical implants, R.A.Surmenev, A.Vladescu, M.A.Surmeneva, A.Ivanova, M.Braic, I.Grubova, C.M. Cotrut, Eds. InTech Croatia, 2016, ISBN 978-953-51-5056-5, http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/66396
Submitted chapter book for publishing:
- Ti-Nb-Zr system and its surface biofunctionalization for biomedical applications, M. Dinu, S. Franchi, V. Pruna, C. M. Cotrut, V. Secchi, M. Santi, I. Titorencu, C. Battocchio, G. Iucci, A. Vladescu, Elsevier - Titanium for Medical and Dental Applications_ A review of all aspects of titanium use in the medical and dental industries, 2017
- Nanomaterials for medical applications and their antimicrobial advantages, A. Vladescu, M. Badea, S. C. Padmanabhan, G. Paraschiv, L. Floroian, L. Gaman, M. A. Morris, J. L. Marty, C. M. Cotrut, Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology (I-XXVII) Multi-Volume SET – ELSEVIER 2017
Papers presented at international conferences:
- Functionalization of medical implants by biocomposite based hydroxyapatite coatings, A. Vladescu, Global Conference on Polymer and Composite Materials -PCM 2017, 23-25 May 2017, Guangzhou, China
- TiO2 and MgO doped hydroxyapatite coatings as possible candidate for orthopaedic implants, A. Vladescu, M. Braic, M. Dinu, C. M.Cotrut, Global Conference on Polymer and Composite Materials -PCM 2017, 23-25 May 2017, Guangzhou, China
- Electrochemical deposition of HAp on porous Ti6Al4V and its in vitro bioactivity and corrosion behaviour, C.M. Cotruț, D.M. Vrânceanu, R. Surmenev, E. Ungureanu, M. Surmeneva, A. Koptioug , A. Vladescu, Global Conference on Polymer and Composite Materials -PCM 2017, 23-25 May 2017, Guangzhou, China
- Evaluation of Ag containing hydroxyapatite coatings to the Candida albicans infection, S.Ciuca, M. Badea, E. Pozna, I. Pana, A. Kiss, L. Floroian, A.Semenescu, C.M.Cotrut, M. Moga, A.Vladescu, Journal of Microbiological Methods 125 (2016) 12-18, doi: 10.1016/j.mimet.2016.03.016
- Study on a hydrophobic Ti-doped hydroxyapatite coating for corrosion protection of titanium based alloy, M. A. Surmeneva, A. Vladescu, R. A. Surmenev, M. Braic, C. M. Cotrut, RSC Advances 6 (2016) 87665-87674, doi: 10.1039/C6RA03397K
Submitted paper for publishing:
- Tribological behaviour of RF-magnetron sputter deposited hydroxyapatite coatings in physiological solution, M.Dinu, A.A.Ivanova, M.A.Surmeneva, Timur M. Mukhametkaliyev, M.Braic, V.Braic, R.A. Surmenev, A.Vladescu, Ceramics International, under review 2016 (status: in evaluare)
Submitted chapter book for publishing:
- Radio frequency magnetron sputter deposition as a tool for surface modification of medical implants, R.A.Surmenev, A.Vladescu, M.A.Surmeneva, A.Ivanova, M.Braic, I.Grubova, C.M. Cotrut, InTECH-open science - 2016
Papers presented at international conferences:<
- Bioactive thin films for functionalization of dental and orthopaedic implants, A.Vladescu, 2nd International Young Scientists School „Nanostructured Materials”, 10 - 12 May 2016 Tomsk, Russia
- Antibacterial properties of sputtered hydroxyapatite coating, A. Vladescu, 7th International Conference “Nanoparticles, Nanostrucured Coatings and Microcontainers: Technology, Properties, Applications”, 12 - 15 May 2016, Tomsk, Russia
- In vitro biocompatibility and electrochemical behaviour of the Ti doped hydroxyapatite, A.Vladescu, M.Braic, A.Gherghilescu, A.Kiss, C.M.Cotrut, I.Titorencu, V.Jinga, V.Braic, E-MRS Spring Meeting 2016 - The European Material Conference - European Materials Research Society Spring Meeting, 2-6 May 2016, Lille, France
- Bioactive and antibacterial coatings obtained by pulsed electrochemical deposition, M. Târcolea, D.M.Vrânceanu, A.Vlădescu, M.Dinu, T.Tran, C.M.Cotruț, 7th International Conference “Biomaterials, Tissue Engineering & Medical Devices” - BIOMMEDD’2016, 15 – 18 September 2016, Constanta, Romania
- Functionalization of Ti6Al4V alloy by hydroxyapatite coatings prepared by electrochemical deposition techniques, D.M.Vrânceanu, A.Vlădescu, E.Ungureanu, V. Negoiescu, A.Berbecaru, C.M.Cotrut, 6th International Conference on Materials Science and Technologies – RoMat 2016, 9-12 November, Bucharest, Romania
Number of proposed projects in international consortia:
- Proposal untitled „Novel biofunctionalized surfaces for demanding medical applications” was submitted at “M-ERA.NET Call 2016” in 10.11.2016, the proposal is under evaluation: Alina Vladescu – leader of INOE.
- Proposal untitled „Nanoengineered bioactive coatings functionalized with controlled antibacterial release system for metallic implants” was submitted at “EURONANOMEDII-Joint Transnational Call for Proposals-2016” in 11.02.2016, ID no. N°52: NanoCoat has not been suggested for funding in 7 October 2016; Alina Vladescu – coordinator of the project. .
- 23rd September 2016, Bucharest, Romania (only the Romanian partners)
- 12 May 2016 Tomsk, Russia
International visibility of the team:
Alina Vladescu(project leader):
- Guest Associate Editor Frontiers in Materials, www.frontiersin.org.
- Member of Technical Program Committee of “The 2016 Global Conference on Polymer and Composite Materials (PCM 2016)” Hangzhou, China, 20 – 23 May 2016.
- Member of Scientific Committee of “The 7th International Conference “Biomaterials, Tissue Engineering & Medical Devices” BIOMMEDD’2016”, Constanta, Romania, 15 – 17 September 2016.
Mariana Braic (team member):
- Organizer of Symposium I “Functional oxynitride films for sustainable development”during the“The 2016 E-MRS Spring Meeting”, Lille, France, 2 – 6 May 2016.
Young people involved in the project:
Researcher postdocs: Laurentiu Braic, Mihaeala Dinu, Anca Parau
Iulian Pana, Lidia Constantin.